Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How

We love the poem "How" from Martha Haley, which she read in the film In the Family (this is an abbreviation):

How can I fight you, when you insist on sneaking up on me?
How can I hide from you, for everywhere I go you try to find me?
How can I see myself as a "woman" when you insist upon disfiguring me?
How can I look at my daughter, sister and friend and wonder are you going to hurt them also.
How can I walk straight, when you try to ripple through my bones?

I can because even though you sneak up on me, I know your there, that's why the fight isn't over.
And I can still see myself as a woman, "Because" it's not what you have done that defines my "Womanhood."
I am a "Woman" by God's Creation only and no one can take that away.
...because there's one thing you can't take from me and that's the ability to be a "Survivor."

The full poem and a photo of Martha can be found here.  More information about Martha's work to support and educate the black community about the risks for breast cancer can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this incredible poetry. Our womanhood is not restricted to our bodies, it is in our soul.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise,

    That is how we feel. Womanhood and femininity resides somewhere other than in our "parts."

    ReplyDelete