Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top 10 things I have learned about menopause

  1. It is impossible to sleep when you are hot.
  2. No more flannel pajamas.
  3. No more down comforters.
  4. Layers, layers, layers.
  5. Hot flashes always happen at 3 a.m.
  6. Vaginal drying/vaginal wall thinning are more than a nuisance, they are a pain!
  7. Acne does not always end with menopause.
  8. Supplemental estrogen helps, but does not eliminate all menopause symptoms
  9. Hormonal changes do affect your memory and are likely to be objectively observed by your husband and children.  "Honey, nobody told me that removing your ovaries was going to make you as dumb as a doorpost," my loving husband said recently.
  10. See your doctor, there are multiple possible solutions for every problem, except possibly the problem with husbands who don't know when to keep quiet.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

4 comments:

  1. Good list, Joi - I'm having massive issues with #9 though I really wish it weren't so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told that the memory issues get better with time. Or maybe we get better at compensating for them. I am hoping for the former!

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 3 and 9! Although my wife knows better than to call me dumb, she does tell my friends that I have problems remembering things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, although I will not confess to it in public, I have to say what I did to prompt this comment was pretty historic.

    ReplyDelete